VICTORIAN CHILD SAFE STANDARDS
The Victorian Government has introduced child safe standards to improve the way organisations provide services for children to prevent and respond to child abuse.
The standards are compulsory for all organisations providing services to children and aim to promote change in organisations to protect children from child abuse.
To create and maintain a child safe organisation we must comply with the following 7 standards:
- Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements.
- A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety.
- A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behavior with children.
- Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel.
- Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse.
- Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse.
- Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
In complying with the standards we also must include the following principles:
- Promoting the cultural safety of aboriginal children
- Promoting the cultural safety of children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Promoting the safety of children with a disability
CHILD SAFE STANDARDS AT SOUTH KINGSVILLE PRESCHOOL
“A child safe organisation fosters and demonstrates openess in a variety of ways. This directly and indirectly creates a culture in which everyone – staff, volunteers, parents, carers and children – feel confident, enabled and supported to safely disclose child safety concerns.”
*(Commission for children and young people – A guide for creating a child safe organisation. Victorian State Government)
The Committee of Management have reviewed and updated our Code of Conduct to reflect our ongoing commitment to child safety and the child safe standards.
We have also adopted a Child Safe Environment Policy that incorporates the requirements of the standards and our commitment as a service.
Our educators have completed Professional Development in Child Safety and mandatory reporting.
We have engaged Body Safety Australia to provide body safety and protective behaviour programs for the educators and kindergarten children.We have also invited them to run a Body Safety Workshop for parents and carers.
South Kingsville Preschool is committed to ensuring our organisation is respectful and welcoming of families from a range of backgrounds and we recognise the times of importance to different cultures.
As an organisation we have many other strategies that are embedded on our practices to comply with these standards and are committed to continue to review these practices.